Monday, September 17, 2007

Gymnastics For One

We just got back from Lila's first gymnastics class. Is 10 am too early for a glass of wine?! My goodness, it was rough! We got there at 9:10 thinking that the class started at 9:15 - but it started at 9:00. That wasn't a problem because there was no one else there! Lila was the only student in the class! I was really counting on there being other kids there so that she could follow along and see what fun they were having. But instead, for the first five minutes, she hid behind my legs and answered "no" to every question of "Do you want to do this?" Miss Michelle, her coach was very sweet and patient (and very apologetic that this is not how a class should be run). Once Lila felt a little more comfortable it got worse. Then she got wound up and just ran around the gym like a crazy child. She had no problems whatsoever with anything gymnastics-related that she was asked to do: the bar, the balance beam, forward rolls, several games. But in between Miss Michele totally lost her. I had to constantly chase her away from the equipment (apparently they're a bit worried about liability!) and back to the mat. She also really enjoyed the echo you get from your own silly voice in an empty gym. I know that my child is difficult, but I truly believe that if there was a group of little girls all sitting on the mat and waiting that she would comply - at least some of the time! Having the whole gym to herself? - a big problem. There were supposed to be other children in her class. Now we have to wait for the owner to call and see what the new plan will be. Did I mention that I could eat her up in her lavender leotard?!

2 comments:

nilvento said...

Pictures, please!!!

I want to eat her up too!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh.... do I feel bad now! I really should have just signed Emma up. Ya know, that way the two of them could have been partners in crime & you could have relaxed a bit. So Sorry!! :-)
Yes, I'd love to see pics. too!