Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Sad, Sad Day






Yesterday we had to take our wonderful dog, Lu to the vet. He's been going downhill pretty quickly lately, and we knew it was coming. Last week we celebrated his 12th birthday. We sang to him and gave him a waffle with peanut butter - happy dog! He was a beautiful chocolate lab, and everyone that knew him loved him. Lu was our first baby. We got him as newlyweds when he was really tiny and adorable. Then he grew to be huge - 100 lbs- and still adorable. He was always perfectly patient with our girls climbing all over him right up till the end. I can remember baby Emma pulling his lips up to show me his teeth and Lila following him around the house holding his tail. He never minded. Swimming and chasing balls were his favorite things. He could fit 3 or 4 tennis balls in his mouth at one time. Lately, he hadn't had the energy to do either. Although he did have a quick dip at Grammy's just last week.

Here's how God answered my prayers about this situation. I knew for sure. Yesterday morning, I looked at him and I knew. His eyes looked different. He wouldn't eat a thing - even if I put it on his lips. He was throwing up and obviously uncomfortable, but the decision was in his expression plain as could be to me. Ryan was out of town due home yesterday evening. He called to tell me he caught an early flight - he didn't even know that we needed him here yet. God just put him on an early flight (he never catches early flights) and we waited at the vets office for Ryan to get there. He got to see Lu and see for himself that we made the right decision. The doctor agreed with me and didn't try to give me other options. Ryan and I were right with him when he died. God let us have this awesome companion for 12 years.
The girls are doing well. I was honest with Emma all day yesterday. She got to spend time sitting with him all day. She mourned him in a healthy way and by the time we buried him, she told us she was done crying and happy for Lu. Lila doesn't understand. We told her Lu died and then she started asking for her fish that's been dead for months. She's using it to her advantage, though. She was sitting on the naughty step last night and instead of apologizing, she was yelling, "I want my Luey!"
So now I sit here in the middle of the night, remembering my dog. Life goes on and we have a busy week, but I wanted to memorialize him here while I can't sleep anyway and the tears are already flowing. You were the best, Lu. I love you.

2 comments:

Mom To Jacob & Allison said...

I'm sharing your tears as well! Lu was special to our family, too! Probably my favorite memory was when we brought Darby over to your house right after we got her. She was just a little thing and Lu was so excited to meet her! Here comes Lu, all of his 100 lbs. charging toward her carry his newest toy, a very long 2x4! Another favorite memory was just a few years ago when we watched Lu. He was so laid back all the time, even when he stole all the toys and had them all in his mouth at one time! He decided when it was play time!

Thanks for sharing Lu with us and for all the great memories! We miss and love you Lu!

Organized Chaos said...

I just tearfully read your post to the girls. We're sorry for your loss and understand what a special part of a family dogs can be! Lu was such a gentle giant and will be missed bt all!