Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Gramma - Don't Read This!!

Well, we had a bit of excitement here today.

It briefly stopped raining here this evening (it seems like it's been raining for months!), so the girls went out to play for a few minutes - very few minutes. All of the sudden, I heard terrorized shrieks from my children. "Ahh! Mommy! Mommy! Emergency!" (repeat over and over again as loud as humanly possible) - I think that's roughly how it went. Upon hearing the frantic screaming, I raced outside - assuming that a limb had been severed at the very least.

But no, Trudy was in the middle of a snake vs. dog face-off. There was a 4 foot black snake by the swingset coiled up and striking at Trudy. My dog, of course, thought this was tremendous fun! She was pouncing all around it like it was the greatest toy ever! Mayhem followed, as the girls were afraid for the dog, and I really just wanted her kill the snake. We got Trudy in the house, then the snake went nuts- all slithery and stuff. I would not normally say that I'm afraid of snakes, but I did not like this one. He was big and fast and wiggling all over my yard.

Did I mention Ryan' s in Chicago this week? Yeah.

I grabbed a shovel and chased him. He enjoyed that immensely, jumping and striking at my shovel. Freaky. What do I do? Do I kill him? Let him go? He's just an innocent snake - probably has a family home waiting for him. What will the girls think of my decision here - very impressionable they are. And then, when it came down to it, he was just too fat. I mean, what if the shovel doesn't go all the way through him?! Then what?! What if it totally crunches - yuck! What if he lunges for me as I go to hit him with the shovel? Then I have a snake bite to deal with before soccer try-outs!

So instead, I chased him around my yard like a lunatic jumping from side to side until he escaped... this is bad......... under my deck.

Ugh. Now I have to think of snakes having a party under my deck every time I walk out there. Disgusting! They probably hangout, eat the drippings from my grill, and do the limbo or something - I bet they're good at that, too!

And what does my far-away-this-week husband have to say about this? "Make sure you leave the back door closed - you don't want him to get in the house." Really?!?! Thanks for the words of encouragement, hon.

Here are the pictures I took when I wasn't running and lifting my feet as high off of the ground as I possibly could.

2 comments:

Organized Chaos said...

HOLY COW! He is huge! Maybe you have to visit me here this summer...not sure I can hang out in your backyard knowing he is still out there.

Have you tried to look online for a snack that matches his marking to make sure he isn't poisonious?

I HATE SNAKES!

tanta said...

There is NO way you're going to have drinks and snacks on your deck when Gramma is there in a couple of weeks. Have fun staying inside for the entirety of her stay.

Michael's mortarboard antics will come on June 10th. Stay tuned, as it can only come close to his awesome cousin's.